“Disinfection is considered to be the primary mechanism for the inactivation/destruction of
pathogenic organisms to prevent the spread of waterborne diseases to downstream users and the environment. Ozone is a very strong oxidant and virucide. Ozone is more effective than chlorine in destroying viruses and bacteria.” – EPA.gov
Ozone water treatment oxidizes iron, manganese, and sulfur in your well water to form insoluble metal oxides or elemental sulfur. These insoluble particles such as rust, are then removed by filtration which is typically activated carbon, manganese dioxide, or other media such as filter sand. Ozone water treatment can rapidly disinfect your drinking water and kill bacteria and viruses, but unlike chlorine does not leave a chemical chlorine residual.